Artists Help Desk
The AFAI Artists’ Help Desk aims to provide artists from the African diaspora currently living in South Africa as asylum seekers, refugees, migrants or permanent citizens, with information and services pertaining to working and living in the country as an artist. The help desk will also assist South African artists.
The project has been initiated by the African Arts Institute due to the growing need for practical assistance required by artists. AFAI’s mission is to harness relevant expertise, resources, infrastructure, markets, knowledge and information to help develop and sustain creative practice in Africa, and the protection and promotion of the continent’s cultural heritage and assets in line with our vision.
The assistance would include but would not be limited to:
- Accessing contacts/information on schools, scholarships, arts organisations, funding bodies, etc.
- Access to a resource centre consisting of a library and computers
- Access to musical instruments
- Access to recording studio
- Access to rehearsal studio
- Legal, social, financial, medical information for refugees/asylum seekers
- Capacity building (workshops, trainings)
- Basic administration skills such as compiling a CV, biography/profile, setting up an email, etc.
- Connecting with other artists from the African Diaspora and from South Africa